Since April 2017, I’ve been employed by ADabisc/Trimoo as storyteller/writer for their edutainment theme park Juniverse. I acted as product owner of the Game Design and Story/Content domains. Over time, I adopted the role of Story Director.
While there isn’t much I am allowed to say about the content of the theme park, I can list here what my tasks and responsibilities are.
This post mainly serves to illustrate how this full-time position has been occupying my time, and to explain the lack of updates of and recent articles for this website.
My responsibilities for Juniverse include:
- design and improve main and side characters;
- design a quest system and develop content for that system;
- create story context for attractions and edit what others have produced;
- add content to the project’s storyworld as well as enrich existing content;
- design and implement overarching game mechanics for the project;
- oversee and participate in rapid prototyping game mechanics for attractions;
- explore and design transmedia storytelling solutions to build and reinforce the storyworld;
- plan and execute test sessions, and analyse test results;
- monitor and edit all physical and digital expressions of the story, spread across the various project departments (graphic design, architecture, voice acting, etc.);
- manage my part of the project as product owner (set and keep deadlines, compose progress reports, set quality standards)
I am leading three small teams outside of ADabisc, although these teams’ tasks and targets overlap to some degree:
- two content writers (Niels ‘t Hooft / Player-2)
- two rapid prototypers/game designers (BlauwPrint)
- three serious game designers (Sfinx Games)
Additionally, I have partnered up with a student team of the CMD Bachelor programme of the NHL Stenden University of Applied sciences from September 2017 until January 2018.
Juniverse is part of the Family Entertainment Complex, located in the Doha Festival City mall in Qatar.
All images displayed here are from the ADabisc or Trimoo websites and belong to them.